The Kalu Yala Blog
February 12, 2013by Marcella Polera
Posted In: Adventures in the Tropics, The Creation of a Culture, Voices of Kalu Yala, Wandering Thoughts
My Birthday stint was a huge success. The thing about living in the jungle is that resources are limited, so having a successful birthday requires a lot of planning… Lucky for me the Kalu Yala crew made it spectacular. My day went as follows:
- Saw a Sloth. Wanted to steal him, he ran away( Of course he didn’t run away, he’s a sloth.I’m not that slow.)
- Kate hiked out in the morning. I don’t know about anyone else, but I think it’s pretty insane for my boss to travel 2 hours and hike 2 hours to get to the valley just to say happy birthday. She really is a fantastic lady!
- All of my favorite meals from Largo, and some orchard fresh mandarins and flowers with breakfast, gummy worms with lunch and chocolate with dinner. (The Valley Crew knows how to keep surprises)
- Saw a beautiful rainbow.(look for my next blog about the rainbows in the Valley)
- Bonfire/ festivities after dinner.
- Surprise arrival of Courtney, Morgan and Esteban.
- Midnight Swim in the Pacora.
Everyone wrote Birthday messages to me on balloons, and all sorts of treats all day long. I have to say it was a perfect 23rd Birthday.